and Wolf Creek Street
for tours on the 1st Sunday of each month from 1 to 5 P.M.
tour starts at 4 P.M *
Closed on legal holidays and Easter
Adults - $2.00
Children 6 to 16 - 50 cents
Children under 6 - free
when accompanied by an adult
Special group tours can be arranged any
day of the week with advance notice for a $25.00 minimum fee.
(Click on photo for
The Grand Opening was held on Veterans Day
November 11, 2009
The original part of the Exhibit Building built in 1907 was the home of
Dr. William Shuey Mundhenk. The building eventually became the Gilbert
Funeral Home with additions to accommodate that business. Gilbert
Fellers Funeral Home owner, Mr. Fellers sold the building and lot to the
Brookville Historical Society in 2006. Funeral Home lamps, a walnut
casket and viewing stand indicate the later use of the building.
|Military Military Items donated by
local veterans include uniforms, memorabilia and pictures from WW I, WW
11, Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War. Liberty Magazines are on display.
Local veterans: The American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign War and
the American Vets groups have been generous with the donation of items
and funds for the military exhibit. Society member, Bobbie Walklet, a
Marine Veteran of WWII who donated her uniform recently visited the
Memorial in Washington and wrote an article about her trip for the
Brookville Star. She is a retired teacher at Brookville Schools and a
past Historical Society Board Member. She continues to volunteer at the
Society. She and many other local veterans have donated items and time
for the military exhibit.
|Business The Brookville Business
Community is well represented with advertising signs, papers, cabinets,
memorabilia, and the Smith Drugs Dispensing Center Cabinet and items
from Somers Hardware, Somers-Behnken Hardware.
|School School Class pictures from
Brookville and Pyrmont Schools are on display along with a school desk,
band uniforms, sports awards and a light fixture from the 1923
Donald Parker painted a wall mural for the agricultural exhibit. Donald
and Joyce (Musselman) Parker have prepared an exhibit about the
Bixler-Mussleman Farm which is on the National Register and in the
Conservancy Easement. There are several farm implements including wagon
parts, cultivator, early grain bin, chicken nesting boxes, tobacco
press, and articles about early farming methods. Dr. William Beavers,
local veterinarian, donated equipment from his large animal practice
when he retired.
|Church & Organizations
Government and Service Organizations are featured
by a Chamber of Commerce plaque and a gas street lamp, There are Eastern
Star items including the emblem, flag, sword and chair. The recently
disbanded local Eastern Star donated many items about the organization
to the Historical Society. Boy Scout Badges and papers donated by Bob
Henn; Church plates and advertising fans are on display.
|Doctors Dr. Thomas Powell, local
Optometrist, retired, donated his chair and testing equipment for a
medical exhibit. Many Local people remember Dr. William Braumiller as
their Dentist. His chair, cabinet, false teeth molds, and wall mounted
x-ray machine are on exhibit with items from Dr. Mundhenk's practice and
a painting of Dr. Thomas who many Brookville-ites remember as their
Doctor and as a sports enthusiast.
|Other Displays The Trophy Cabinet and
some of the winnings of Fred C. Koch. He was a nationally know
trapshooter who helped bring the trapshooting group to Vandalia. OH.
Furniture and china from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s including a
writing desk, table, Victorian tea cart donated to the Society by major
donor, Helen (Bryant) Hill are on display.
There is also a reconstruction of a section of the Helen Bryant Hill Log
cabin, which was dismantled in 2004.
The Exhibit Building is heated and air conditioned except for
the agricultural exhibit in the garage. It is wheelchair accessible and all
tours are self-guided.
Brookville Historical Society
P.O. Box 82
Brookville, Ohio 45309-0082